Upcoming Events Ticker
  • Bowlage
    Bowlage

PBA Pro Bowling Console Complete Review - by Bowlage NorthEast

Sign in to follow this  

I still see a lot of people on the fence regarding whether they should buy the game or not and with a price tag of only $19.99 at a time when most games go for $60+, clearly the PBA and FarSight Studios knew the game was lacking in certain areas.  

I've had the game now for 2 days and I've pretty much tried out all of the available modes, so if you're looking for a more complete review than the Q&A we had with Damon White a few days ago, I'll try to give you one now.

Rather than write out a long essay-style review, let me just list the pros and cons of the game:

Pros:

• First and foremost, I must say that the game is, in my opinion, VERY easy to just pick up and play.  How easy?  My first game ever with no practice at all was a 201.  Since then, I've bowled about 12-15 games and shot less than 200 once. 
    • Pin Physics - in my opinion, the game(s) with the best pin physics I've ever played were Ten Pin Alley and Brunswick Circuit Pro Bowling.  This game's physics, while solid, are a small step below.  Yes, you will see light hit 7's and buried 10's.  However, some of the trips you get, especially with a poor bowling ball like the default ball, are not really realistic.  I've tripped out quite a few 4's and 10's on less than stellar shots that almost certainly would not have gone down in real life.  I've also left the 4-9-10 which I don't think I've ever actually seen left in real life.  I've also left the 5-10 more than the 5-7, which is very rare for a right-handed bowler.  And the best part is I'm 3/3 in converting the 5-10.  Please understand, the pin physics are good, they're just not perfect.
    • Career Mode - hey, there is one and it seems to have a decent amount of events.  
    • Online Play - for $20, I wasn't expecting any online play, but it's there and while it's limited, you don't need to purchase an online network pass to use it.
    • Variety - plenty of bowling balls to use, plenty of pro bowlers to bowl against, a decent amount of oil patterns to bowl on, a decent amount of venues in which to bowl.
    • It's $19.99.
    • Graphics - they're fine.  Nothing mind-blowing, but they'll suffice.

Cons:

• Honestly, I feel the game is a bit TOO easy.  Ten Pin Alley was a challenging game, especially with the meter bowling mechanic.  Again, 15 games and only one less than 200.  One-pin spares are basically automatic, you should NEVER miss one.  EVER!  Even splits are too easy, as I said above, I've left the 5-10 three times now and converted all three.  For a righty throwing a conventional hook, that's probably not going to happen.
    • You can control the ball after you throw it.  This is about as unrealistic as you can get.  I don't want to control the hook of the ball AFTER I release it.  I want my revolutions to dictate the ball path.  This honestly is downright stupid.
    • Unlockables - SO many things are locked, including most bowling balls, many pros, some oil patterns, and some venues.  And while everything can be unlocked by playing the game (and not forcing you to use real money in the form of microtransactions), some of them require VERY high levels.  To unlock the Storm Crux Prime requires you to be a level 85.  That will honestly take two months of regular playing time.  
    • Stats - I don't see anywhere where you can see your stats, such as average of games bowled, percentage of converted spares, etc.  Nothing.  Nowhere.  At all.
    • You can't play one-on-one in Online Play.  It's ONLY tournaments.  I would like to go online, search for a friend and bowl him or her one-on-one.  Nope.  Can't do it.  You and your friend(s) CAN join the same tournament to compete against one another, but you cannot bowl one-on-one.
    • Oil Patterns - yes, there are a few, but I've literally used almost the exact same ball arc and motion of release on every pattern and had success bowling on the same line.  A 48-foot pattern should not play the same as a 32-foot pattern.  There doesn't seem to be enough variety in the oil patterns and the way the ball reacts on the lane.
    • You cannot use the pros.  You can ONLY bowl against them.  
    • The faces on some of the pros are downright awful.  Jesper Svensson looks possessed.   Bill O'Neill . . . does not look like Bill O'Neill.  They all have the EXACT same expressions.  And some of them are WAY off in terms of their bowling mechanics.  Everyone knows EJ Tackett has a massive amount of revs for a conventional grip bowler.  In a game in which I was playing the outside with a default bowling ball, he was standing 20 and throwing inside.  

My overall take is that for $19.99, you get what you pay for.  It's a decent title, definitely has some replayability factor, but other areas are sorely lacking.  I'd say if you're looking for a realistic bowling title and have Ten Pin Alley or Brunswick Circuit Pro Bowling, stick with them.  If you're looking for a more updated title with pro bowlers, go for it.  

Rating: 5/10

• Thanks 1
    Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Advertisement

The Bowlage.com Website contains the most complete, collective list of Bowling Tournaments and Upcoming Events in the Northeastern US!

However, we do miss some tournaments.  If you'd like to add a new tournament to the Upcoming Events Section of the Website, Click Here to Submit Your New Tournament!

Please make sure the tournament isn't already listed so there are no duplicate entries.